1.) What are the environmental permits that we need to secure prior to the start of our operation?

From the DENR-EMB, the environmental permit that serves as the main key to all other permits would be the Environmental Clearance Certificate (ECC). However, there are also instances that instead of an ECC, a Certificate of Non-Coverage (CNC) is secured.

For areas under LLDA jurisdiction, a LLDA Clearance Certificate (LC) must be obtained.

2.) What is an Environmental Clearance Certificate (ECC)?

The ECC is a set of conditions that a company should follow to ensure compliance to Philippine environmental laws. Operating/Constructing a project without an ECC will fetch a corresponding penalty.

3.) What is a Certificate of Non-Coverage (CNC)?

A Certificate of Non-Coverage or CNC is a certification issued by the DENR-EMB certifying that the project is not covered by the EIS system and is not required to secure an ECC.

Any project not covered by the EIS system can apply for a CNC. Securing a CNC is optional. However, some companies still need to secure this for certification purposes like the ISO standard certification.

4.) How can I obtain an ECC?

The first step to obtain an ECC is to prepare an Initial Environmental Examination (IEE) checklist (for non-environmentally critical project) in order to identify the environmental impact of the project and its corresponding mitigating measures.

5.) When is the right time to apply for an ECC?

One must apply for an ECC before excavation if you are going to construct your own structures/building; or before testing of equipment if you will lease an existing ready-built facility.

6.) What is PEZA’s role in our obtainment of the ECC?

PEZA has a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the DENR. PEZA conducts pre-processing of your ECC application. The filled-out IEE checklist will be evaluated, and then an inspection will be conducted. After evaluation and inspection, PEZA will advise you if you need to revise the form. PEZA will then endorse the documents to the DENR-EMB after evaluation.

7.) How long will it take for the company’s ECC to be issued?

Based on the EMB Manual, processing timeframe is 20 working days for DENR’s issuance of the ECC.

8.) What is an LLDA Clearance (LC)?

Like the ECC, the LC must be secured before any development activity. It must be in conjunction with the conditions set in the ECC most especially in terms of production capacity.

9.)What are the areas required to secure the LC?

The whole province of Rizal
The whole province of Laguna
Areas covered in Batangas: Tanauan City, Sto. Tomas & Malvar
Areas covered in Cavite: Silang, Carmona, Gen. Mariano Alvarez & Tagaytay City
Area covered in Quezon: Lucban
Areas covered in NCR (Metro Manila): City of Manila, Caloocan City, Marikina City, Muntinlupa City, Pasay City, Pasig City, Pateros, Quezon City and Taguig City.

10.) When is the right time to apply for an LC?

Concurrent with your application for an ECC, one must apply for LC before excavation if you are going to construct your own structures/building; or before testing of equipment if you will lease an existing ready-built facility.

11.) After obtaining my ECC and/or LC, what other related environmental permits do I need to secure?

Other relevant environmental permits & licenses that you need to secure would be the following:

Discharge permit/Certificate of Interconnection
Permit to Operate (if you have Air pollution sources such as boiler or generator sets)
Hazardous Waste ID number

12.) What is a Discharge permit or a certificate of Interconnection?

This certifies that you are connected to the wastewater treatment facility (WTF) of the economic zone and that your wastewater shall be adequately treated by your own (WTF) or by the centralized WTF.

You need to apply for this prior to the operation of the manufacturing facility.

13.) Where do I need to secure a Certificate of Interconnection and/or a Discharge permit?

If connected to the CWTF, this is secured from the economic zone developer.

If not connected to the CWTF, this is secured from the LLDA if located within LLDA area, otherwise, appropriate EMB Regional offices.

14.) What is a Permit to Operate (PTO)? Why do we need to secure this?

The PTO provides a guide for companies who have air emission sources on the frequency of air quality monitoring and frequency of reporting to the DENR.

This must also be obtained prior to the operation of manufacturing facility. This is secured directly from the DENR-EMB regional offices.

15.) What is a Hazardous Waste ID number?

Since the transport of hazardous wastes in the country is regulated, there is a need for almost all companies to register as hazardous waste generator before you can have your hazardous wastes be treated or disposed.

This can be secured even during the operation of the manufacturing facility. One can obtain the Hazardous waste ID from the DEBR regional Offices.

16.) We are only a warehousing facility; do we still need to secure a Hazardous waste ID?

Busted Florescent Lamps (BFLs), batteries of all kinds, used oil are some examples of common hazardous wastes that can also be found in non-manufacturing companies. Hence, treatment, transport and disposal of such items is still covered by Philippine environmental laws most especially Republic Act 6969 (Toxic and Hazardous Waste Management Act).

17.) When do I need to secure a License to use Precursor and Essential Chemicals?

You need to apply for this if you are using hydrochloric acid in your process, the use, importation and local sale of which is regulated.

This must be secured prior to purchase of the chemical. The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency is the issuing body of such license.

18.) What companies need to secure a License to operate and product registration?

All companies which are involved in the manufacture of food and its additives are required to secure a license from the Food and Drug Administration.

This must be obtained prior to operation.